- 4 Minutes to read
- 4 Minutes to read
LinkedIn Ads is an advertising platform that enables businesses to create and run targeted advertising campaigns on LinkedIn. It offers a range of ad formats and targeting options, allowing businesses to reach specific professional audiences based on criteria such as job title, industry, location, and more, helping them promote their products or services and generate leads within the professional networking environment.
Dataddo can extract all the metrics provided via the official LinkedIn Ads API. The full list is available here.
How to Create a LinkedIn Ads Data Source
- On the Sources page, click on the Create Source button and select the connector from the list.
- From the drop-down menu, choose your account.Didn't find your account?
Click on Add new Account at the bottom of the drop-down and follow the on-screen prompts. You can also go to the Authorizers tab and click on Add New Service.
- Name your data source and select your metrics and attributes.
- [Optional] Configure your advanced settings (for more information please refer to the section on Advanced Settings). If you are unsure about how to proceed, we recommend skipping this step.
- Configure your snapshotting preferences. Choose your sync frequency or the exact synchronization time under Show advanced settings.DATADDO TIP
If you need to load historical data, please refer to the Data Backfilling article.
- Preview your data by clicking on the Test Data button in the top right corner. You can adjust the date range for a more specific time frame.
- Click on Save and congratulations, your new data source is ready!
To access your account's LinkedIn Ads analytics data, sign in as an administrator. However, the best practice is to create a dedicated system user.
The Dataddo LinkedIn Ads connector supports automatic extraction from all available LinkedIn Ads accounts. This feature is particularly useful when you have multiple accounts and need to automatically extract the same metrics and dimensions from all of them.
Number of Metrics and Labels
When creating your LinkedIn Ads source, you can select up to 15 metrics and 10 labels.
Data labels depend on the Pivot you select: Account, Campaign, Campaign Group, Creative, Conversion, or Share.
Total Number of Rows
The LinkedIn Ads API has a hard limit for the total number of rows that can be extracted. However, Dataddo supports automatic pagination, which means that the data extraction is distributed into multiple batches.
For the exact limitation, please refer to Microsoft's official documentation.
For LinkedIn, reauthorization is required every year.
Data Preview Unavailable
If there is no data preview after clicking on Test Data, there might be a problem with your source configuration. The most common causes are:
- Date range: Try a smaller date range. You can load the rest of your data afterward through our manual data load function.
- Insufficient permissions: Please make sure your authorized account has at least admin-level permissions.
- Invalid metrics, attributes, or breakdowns: You may not have any data for the selected metrics, attributes, or breakdowns.
- Incompatible combination of metrics, attributes, or breakdowns: The combination you have selected cannot be queried together. Please refer to the service's documentation to view a full list of metrics that can be included in the same source.
Metric and Ad Recall Data Don't Match
The Reach and Recall metrics cannot be summed to get the totals for longer time periods. As these metrics measure the daily unique users who view your ad (= reach) or will remember the ad (=ad recall), it is not possible to get data for a specific time period and/or aggregate the data.
To avoid this, you can
- Get daily breakdowns: The daily values will match, but not when summed up over a longer time period.
- Extract data weekly or monthly: These weekly/monthly values will match.
Simply create a new source and a new flow with the particular breakdown (for example, a source and a flow with daily breakdowns/synchronizations).
Read more about the metrics, and why the data may not be matching here.
Extra Empty Columns Named CREATIVE TEXT and CREATIVE TITLE
Your Ad Creatives are most likely of the Sponsored Status Update type which does not have this kind of information available.
There are two kinds of Ad Creatives on LinkedIn: Text Ad and Sponsored Status Update with slightly different schemas. Only Text Ad contains populated TEXT and TITLE fields.
For more information on fields of Ad Creative, refer to Microsoft’s official documentation.
Information on Shares from Sponsored Status Update Creatives
Create a second source using LinkedIn (not LinkedIn Ads) connector and create a dataset called Individual Shares Metadata. This dataset contains basic data about your shares such as text and description.
Blend with the LinkedIn Ads connector (don’t forget to select the Creative share ID field) by using the share ID as the join key.
Missing approximateUniqueImpressions Data
If your approximateUniqueImpressions values become 0, you need to set your date range as less than or equal to 92 days.
If you select a bigger date range, this metric will become unavailable and 0 will be displayed instead.
Now that you have successfully created a data source, see how you can connect your data to a dashboarding app or a data storage.