When authorizing Facebook access, make sure that the user has correct permissions. To access the Post Insights data, the user has to have assigned ANALYST permission to a given Facebook Page. Check the official documentation for further details.
Dataddo can extract all the metrics provided via an official API. The full list is available here.
Lifetime values only
It is important to mention that only the lifetime values of the metrics are available due to the limitations of the Facebook Insights API. Therefore, you are only provided with the total aggregated value of the given metric to the date. For example, on the 1st of January, the total views of the post were 1000, on the 2nd of January the total views of the post were 1053, and so on. You will not be provided with the daily (weekly, monthly) deltas.
Overcoming Lifetime values only issue with Dataddo
Set the snapshot-taking frequency to daily. This will ensure that each day you will gradually build a time series for each metric. You can add the Insert date attribute in the connector configuration that adds an additional timestamp, indicating the date to which the value of the metric is fixed.
- Facebook Insights API has a hard limit of 100 posts that can be extracted. Dataddo supports automatic pagination, so more than 100 posts can be extracted.
- Data cannot be broken down by days, you will extract only the number of impressions or clicks. You can keep a current snapshot and see the actual situation, or "Append" the data and build a time series of your data.
The Dataddo Facebook Post Insights connector supports automatic extraction of all the posts from all available Facebook Pages. This feature is particularly useful when you manage multiple accounts and need to automatically extract the same metrics and dimensions across them all.
How to create a Facebook Posts Insights Data Source
- Sign in to your Dataddo account and click on Sources at the top of the page.
- Click on Create Source in the top right corner.
- From the list of sources, choose Facebook Posts Insights. You can type the name of the connector into the search bar to find it faster.
- From the drop-down menu, choose your Account connected to Dataddo, and then select Page. Click on Next to continue with the setup.
- Didn't find your account?
If you want to connect a new account that is not on the list, click on Add new Account at the bottom of the drop-down. You will be redirected to the authorization/sign-in page to confirm the right account. Once you confirm, you will be redirected back to the Dataddo app.
- Authorize Your Account
If you have not authorized your Account with Dataddo, click on Add new Account and you will be redirected to the authorization/sign-in page.
After you log in and give Dataddo the necessary permissions to access your data, you will be redirected back to the connector.
- Didn't find your account?
Choose a name for your Data Source, select the Metrics, and the Data Labels. To continue to the next page, click Next
NOTE: *If the Data range is available to select, you can load historical data. Read more in our guide.
Before saving the source, you can see a preview of your data by clicking on the Preview button. you can adjust the date range to a more specific view.
Also, you can see the full list of the metrics you selected by clicking on Show all Metrics and attributes, in the left navigation.
* Broken view / Error message
If you cannot see a preview of your data, go back a few steps and check your setup. The most common causes are:
- Date range - we recommend a smaller date range. If you need to load historical data, check our guide.
- Invalid metrics, attributes or breakdowns, or their combination - you may not have any values for them.
- Click on Save and your new Data Source is ready.