Automatic Data Synchronization
Dataddo Google Analytics connector gives you the ability to sync your data automatically in hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly increments.
Available Metrics and Dimensions
The connector supports all the fields available in the official API. The full list is available here.
Combining Metrics and Dimensions
Not all the available metrics and dimensions can be combined together. If the chosen combination is not possible, it will result in the connector error. On this page, you can check the mutual compatibility of the chosen metrics and dimensions.
Google Analytics API limits the amount of extracted metrics per source - 10 metrics and 7 dimensions per source.
How to connect data for more than 10 metrics?
If you need more than 10 metrics for a given combination of dimensions (and given that the final combination of 10+ metrics and your dimensions works together), you can create multiple sources and blend them together.
You will need to select exactly the same dimensions in all of the sources and then blend the sources using all of these dimensions as join keys directly in your BI tool or warehouse.
- Google Analytics API has a data extraction limit of 10 000 rows per single request. Our connector features automatic pagination, so the data extraction is distributed into multiple calls, and the extraction limit can be effectively increased to 250,000 rows.
- You can edit the limit of how much data is being loaded for the historic load.
TIP: How to check if you reached the limit?
When looking in the log, a round number (e.g. 10000) is visible, most probably you did not load all the data. An easy way to estimate the limit is to check how much daily data is being loaded, when creating the source in the preview, or go to Sources and click on the log of the source to see Row counts from the last load).
Our Google Analytics connector supports automatic extraction from all the available Google Analytics accounts. This feature is particularly useful when you have multiple accounts and need to automatically extract the same metrics and dimensions across them (e.g., online agencies).
How to Create a Google Analytics Data Source
- Sign in to your Dataddo account and click on Sources at the top of the page.
- Click on Create Source in the top right corner.
- From the list of sources, choose Google Analytics. You can type the name of the connector into the search bar to find it faster.
- From the drop-down menu, choose your Google Account connected to Dataddo, Analytics Account, Property, and View. Click on Next to continue with the setup.
- Didn't find your account?
If you want to connect a new account that is not on the list, click on Add new Account at the bottom of the drop-down. You will be redirected to the authorization/sign-in page to confirm the right account. Once you confirm, you will be redirected back to the Dataddo app.
Authorize your account
If you have not authorized your Account with Dataddo, click on Add new Account and you will be redirected to the authorization/sign-in page.
After you log in and give Dataddo the necessary permissions to access your data, you will be redirected back to the connector.
- Didn't find your account?
Choose a Name for your Data Source, select the Metrics, the Dimensions, and the Data Labels. To continue to the next page, click Next.
NOTE: You can only select 10 metrics and 7 dimensions per source
- The next page is optional. You can fill Filter and Segment. If you are not sure what to select in this step, we recommend you skip to the next one. Click on Next to continue.
Read more about the effects of Filters and Segments and some examples below.
NOTE: You can load historical data. Read more in our guide.
Before saving the source, you can see a preview of your data by clicking on the Preview button. you can adjust the date range to a more specific view.
Also, you can see the full list of the metrics you selected by clicking on Show all Metrics and attributes, in the left navigation.
* Broken View / Error Message
If you cannot see a preview of your data, go back a few steps and check your setup. The most common causes are:
- Date range - we recommend a smaller date range. If you need to load historical data, check our guide.
- Invalid metrics, attributes or breakdowns, or their combination - you may not have any values for them. On this page, you can check the mutual compatibility of the chosen metrics and dimensions.
- Click on Save and your new Data Source is ready.
Congratulations, your new Data Source is ready!
Filters and Segments
In the Dataddo app, the filters and segments applied to your source will be visible in your destination but will not affect the original data in Google analytics.
Filters serve are a "limiter" to the data. You can filter for example specific countries or exclude them.
If you want to exclude some country, where country=Czechia or country=Ireland, then insert the filter as follows:
Segments as an optional configuration help you divide your data, so it is easier for you to navigate. For example, you want to segment the data by device or other specific audience segments.