Dataddo enables you to load historical data to your Data Source which you can then send to any Dashboarding Application.
If you come across a case where you need to add a specific range of your historical data to your data set, you can do it simply with a one-time request in the Dataddo app.
If your data source is already setup and taking snapshots as you like and sending them to your data destination, you can proceed to Step 2 right away. If not, we will go through setting up a Data Source and Data Flow here in Step 1.
Step 1 - How to create Data Source
- The first thing you'll need to do is navigate to Sources and click on New Sources in the top right corner. Then we will select the connector that we want to work with, for this example we will go with Google Analytics.
- Next, you'll need to select your Google Account and Google Analytics Account.
- After selecting your accounts you need to make sure that you have picked all Metrics and Dimensions you want.
- Next, we need to select a date range. If you want to pull data daily, this can be set to Yesterday, if you want to do this monthly, you can set this to Last month.
For Example: If you are working on a report in Google Data Studio and every morning, you want to extract yesterday's data to add to your older, historical data. To do this, set the Snapshot Date range to "Yesterday", set the "Snapshotting frequency" to "Daily", then select "06:00" and your timezone. Set the "Snapshot retention" to "Append" so Dataddo will add all future Snapshots to your past Snapshots, creating a comprehensive historical view of your data.
- After selecting the date range and time click on see the preview and after that, you can see a sample of your Google Analytics data. And after checking the data, click on save source.
- Great! you have successfully created a source.
- To connect this Data source with a database or a BI tool, you can click on Add to flow. Next, click on New destination and choose from the list of destinations, in this example, we are using Google Data Studio. Now, Label your data flow.
- First, you need to create a Data Flow. You can do this either by navigating to Sources, picking the Source that you want to use, and clicking on Add to flow
- Next, you click on Add Destination.
- From the list of Business Intelligence and Dashboarding Applications choose Google Data Studio.
- You can name your flow and save it.
- After that copy, Dataddo API KEY & Dataddo API Endpoint ID and paste it Into the appropriate fields In Google Data Studio.
STEP 2 - Loading historical data
- For most sources (such as Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, etc), this process is rather simple and straightforward. Navigate to Sources in your Dataddo account, find a specific source, you want to work with, and click on the "Ad-hoc data load" button.
- Now you can set a specific date range of your historical data. Click Apply, choose whether you want to append this historical data to your existing data, or replace them, confirm your action and load the data.
- If you want to send these historical data to your dashboarding app, in our case Google Data Studio, you can navigate into the Data Flows tab in your account, find the appropriate Data flow connected to this source and simply click on Ad-hoc data insert, confirm your action and the historical data are sent to your table.